We are Alison, Chloe-Jane and Rich, local Council candidates for Copers Cope ward of Beckenham. We’ve all lived in Beckenham for several years, volunteered in our local community and between us have children who attend local nursery, primary and secondary schools.
Beckenham is a pretty decent place to live (actually we love it); however it is not without its problems:
- A lack of school places.
- Speeding and ‘rat-running’ and on residential roads.
- Dangerous crossings and road junctions just waiting for an accident to happen.
- Over-development of flats.
- No affordable housing.
- Fly-tipping and fly-posting.
- Overflowing bins and infrequent street cleaning on many roads.
- Stretched police resources.
- Fewer independent shops on the High Street and less variety.
- Lack of office space, reducing local jobs and day time business to local shops.
- Green spaces and parks that need more care and attention.
- Crowded trains and fare price hikes.
There are also some missed opportunities as well:
- Changing planning polices to improve the High Street shop fronts so they are in keeping with the Conservation area.
- Investing in local commercial real estate so as to influence the mix of shops and retain office space, rather than invest our Council tax in commercial property schemes outside the borough.
- Increasing outpatient healthcare and social care services at the Beckenham Beacon so local people do not have to travel to the PRU, Kings College Hospital or to other parts of the borough.
We think the Council could do better on all these issues. We know that budgets are tight, however the answer is not just cuts. There are solutions that require innovation, being open to new ideas and looking for smarter way to deliver local services.
Local people know this, which is why most importantly Bromley Council should be listening to local people. Poor consultation characterises our Council and it is a top priority of ours to change this. We will hold regular surgeries in Beckenham Town Centre starting now! We are also seeking your views in our online survey.
Please come along for a chat, every other Saturday morning at 10.30am at Burger and Bubbles, Southend Road (by the Waitrose entrance).
- 20 Jan
- 3 Feb
- 17 Feb
- 3 March
- 17 March
- 31 March
Survey – Tell us what you think.
Let us know what is important to you and your family online.
We hope to hear from you soon!
All the best,
Alison, Chloe-Jane & Rich